Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Treadmill Troubles...

Soooo... last year I did an excellent job of working on my weight by walking/running about an hour a day. I was able to do this no matter the weather because I had my trusty treadmill to run on. As this summer heated up, I wanted to do that again, especially since I haven't consistently exercised all June.

It was probably around June 1st when I stepped onto the treadmill. Put the TV up loud, turned on Gilmore Girls, turned on the fan, made sure the red magnet was connected, and hit "program 2" on the workouts.... She began to move, but then suddenly slowed to a crawl and stopped... Something was very wrong.

I hit stop, start, stop, unplugged it, reset it, plugged it back in, hit start, 1mph.... but again, the same thing. It started to move, then, nothing. I figured I had just done something wrong or had finally gotten so fat the machine just gave out. That's about the time I noticed a smell. I looked around but didn't see anything.

About a week later, I go downstairs again to try to tackle the problem again... turn the treadmill on it's side and sniff.... now I'm sure... something had died in there and fried part of the computer in charge of running the thing. I decide that now it's up to Jace because there's no way in Hades that I'm going to touch anything that has a dead rotting animal in it.

So... a couple weeks later, we go downstairs together, turn the machine over and realize we're going to have to do some taking apart. So, with plastic bag, gloves and screwdrivers in hand, we disassemble the base of the machine, remove the cover, and presto.... the culprit!! Dead as a doornail, and decaying, trapped between a wire and the 'motherboard'.

Jace will never admit he disagreed with me, but I could tell he didn't believe a mouse had caused all this trouble... So, to prove it to everyone out there... I've included a photo.... Don't scroll down if you cry at this sort of thing.


Graphic images below...


I tried to blot out the poor fella's eyes.....


RIP Mousy... and serves you right for screwing up my treadmill! If he'd had stayed out, he'd still be alive and I'd be 10 pounds thinner!

Jace was able to fix it... partly... but we're going to call the company to make sure that the soldering he did won't hurt anything. It runs now, but not quite like it should (at least Jace doesn't think so)....

2 comments:

GreenEggsandSam said...

that's kind of gross, but I'm glad your treadmill is mostly new :o)

DMuller said...

Sam!! Hey! Long-time-no-see! How are ya?! Hope Colorado is treating you ok! and yes... it was very gross... I made Jace take care of it. I told him there was NO WAY I was going to touch it.