Wednesday, March 7, 2012

March!!! Holy Cow!!!

It's been so long since I last posted I had to type the address twice into my browser because I couldn't remember exactly what it was!!!

So much has gone on! Our baby girl is almost 8 months old, saying 'dadadada' and the occasional 'mmmaammmm' which I don't thing is dad or mom at all yet.  She often begins talking while she falls asleep and her 'words' are distinctly unique.  She does the same thing when she wakes up and has nursed in the morning.  She's newly started getting on all fours on her own and rocking.  Crawling is right around the corner.  She's been able to hold herself in a standing position for about 3 months, but is getting braver and starting to reach for other things... the feet don't follow though, so she's still working on that.  She will 'walk' if you hold her hands, but it's stiff-legged.

My post tonight is actually for my church family.  I decided to write down my recipe for Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup.  The only thing I forgot to add to it tonight was the white wine.  I got rave reviews without it, but really wanted to try it with and see what kind of flavor I could get.  I will be adding it to the leftovers.  Ok, so with that said here's what I did.....

Servings: about 16

Ingredients:
  • 1 pkg of boneless skinless chicken tenderloins (boiled and shredded)
1 cup carrots (sliced 1/4in)
1 cup sliced mushrooms (I chopped them in thirds or quarters because some were rather large)
1 clove garlic (minced)
1/2 medium onion (abt 1/2 cup) chopped
        [The other recipe called for celery, but I don't like it so it didn't make the cut for my soup.]

  • 8 cups chicken broth (2-32oz containers)
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 pkgs of Long Grain Wild Rice Original Recipe w/seasoning pkt. 
    • (You can use the quick cook recipe and just add it later.)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour (I may try unbleached flour next time)
  • 1 cup butter (yumm!!)
  • 3 cups 2% milk
  • 1/2 cup white wine

Directions:
1.  Boil chicken until done.  Shred with fork.  Set aside.
2.  Soften carrots by boiling 10 mins. Drain.
3.  In a large pot, saute 2Tbs butter (of the 1c butter), onions, mushrooms, garlic, carrots.
4.  Add chicken broth, water, and chicken.  Bring to a boil.  
5.  Add rice (NOT SEASONING), cover, reduce heat for about 25-30 mins.

6.  For the roux: In medium sauce pan, melt remainder of butter, stir in seasoning packets until bubbly.
7.  Reduce heat to low, stir in flour by the tablespoons to form a roux. 
  • 8.  Whisk in milk a little a at a time until creamy and smooth. (continue simmer about 5 mins)
9.  Stir cream mixture into broth and rice.  
     (Add white wine if desired).  Cook over medium-low heat until heated through (10-15 mins.)

It was a hit.  If I had bread bowls, I'd swear it was exactly the same as Panera's.  Remember, I didn't add wine to mine though, but only because I forgot....   

If I'm forgetting something, or you notice a mistake, please let me know.

The above recipe absolutely filled my pot, so make sure you 1/2 the recipe if you are only cooking for 5 or 6.


No comments: