Saturday, July 16, 2011

She's Here!!! She's Here!!!

What a week!!


Before I begin, I'd like you to please keep my nephew, Trent, and his parents in your prayers.  He had major surgery yesterday, at 7 weeks old, and is recovering in the ICU.  He will be sedated for a few days and then be in recovery for several weeks at home.  Please pray his mom and dad (my brother and sis-in-law) are held strong and faithful throughout this long process.  Please pray that Trent recovers fully with all his pieces working like they should.  Thank you!! 

We began the week expecting to go into labor by the end, and when I called Monday (July 11) to schedule the potential induction, Doc asked me if I wanted to begin the process that same day.  While I was in shock, we said yes and went in at 7:30 to begin taking Cytotec, which softens the cervix.  I responded well and began having contractions on my own all night long.  They were VERY close together, but were NOT making any progress.  They flushed the Cytotec from my cervix because Alayna's heart rate was dropping and not recovering fast enough.  She leveled off and by 8:30 the next morning we had begun broken my water, started Pitocin and shortly after my labor.  I made it to a 4 or 5 before I asked for an epidural.  I was in pain, but it wasn't unmanageable... however, after 2 failed attempts at getting my right side to respond to the epidural, it WAS unmanageable and I felt like I was dying on my right half, yet somehow perfectly relaxed and comfortable on my left.  

A couple different narcotics later and they had taken the edge off the pain so I could work my way up to a 9.  Once we got to a 9 they gave me a spinal.  I prayed he wouldn't ruin my back, miss and give me a headache, or anything else that could go wrong.  Within seconds, the double dose made my entire lower half numb and I was able to enjoy the end!  We had to push for 1 1/2 hours though because I was absolutely unable to feel a damn thing and it's hard to know what you're doing when your brain can't control your body. 

Alayna's heart rate had dips throughout the labor process which is why I needed oxygen and was not able to get up to move around.  I had to labor in bed rotating from side to side because she was just very unhappy with the entire process.  The funny thing, is that during the pushing, her heart rate stayed very strong the entire time! :-)  She was ready to come out!  

I had also prayed, constantly, that she would not have any tangles in her umbilical chord.  The prayers worked because my husband was not allowed to cut the chord.  It was too short and Doc had to cut it before placing her on my tummy.

Since coming home we've learned what REAL fatigue feels like.  This is the first time I've really had a moment to sit down where I wasn't ready to fall asleep.  Jace has been amazing, as has both our families.  We've shared the responsibility with Alayna and last night was the first night I'd slept more than a few minutes at a time.  The great news... the BIG news is that this morning, after her 4:30 feeding, she went to sleep and STAYED asleep for 3 hours!!!  Jace and I were able to sleep in our bed together at the same time for 3 hours!!! :-)  Right now, Alayna is in the chair with me while I type, and her daddy is catching up on some much needed sleep from his long long night. 

Thanks for reading and I am going to do my best to keep you updated, but as many of you know, time and sleep is precious.  God bless!

Des, Jace and Alayna Marie


Made by auntie Erin (Alayna's best friend's mother) ;-) 

 Yeaaaa!! Labor!!

I've arrived!  This is just after delivery.

I was 9 lbs 8 oz and 21.5in long.

Daddy changed my 1st diaper!

 After my 1st bath.


 Mom's trying to burp me...

 Auntie Renee'

 Grammy 

 Grammy helping change a really nasty diaper.

 Meme's holding me on my 2nd day of life with a pretty pink headband.

Meme put me to sleep at home in my swing, in my Daddy's favorite hat.

See you next time!!!!

Love,
Alayna Marie

No comments: